Sunday, April 06, 2008

Going Nuts

Howdy folks. You might remember me. Gangly tall girl pretending to be a runner? Yeah, that chick.

So, you'll never guess what I'm going to do in two weeks. After all the pouting, whining, bellyaching, boo-hoo'ing, bawling, blubbering, sniveling, lamenting, squalling, weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth I've done the past six months because of the Winter That Never Ended, I'm finally going to make it all worth it by running my first races of the 2008 season. First up, a repeat of the same half-marathon in Salt Lake City I ran last spring. And a month after that, I'm going to really stick it in winter's face by running my third full marathon in Ogden, Utah.

My will and determination to keep up with my training has never been tested so severely. If ever there were a time for me to change my mind and take up another hobby (say, I dunno... squirrel watching?), this would have been it. I couldn't even take a stab at guessing how many times I wanted to completely ditch a run... before, during, or even a measly quarter mile from the finish. Except for a little bit of recent smack talk from my ITB, I've been injury-free, so that hasn't been an issue whatsoever. It's been solely the winter to blame and my ever-decreasing willingness to continue subjecting myself to its surly wrath.

But somehow, due to pure mulish stubbornness (or perhaps just plain 'ol stupidity), I've all but made it through another round of training. Within just a few weeks, the hard part will once again be over and the sweet, sticky icing on the cake of crossing another finish line will be all mine.

Salt Lake City presents somewhat of a dilemma for me, however. On one hand, I really would love to go down there and not only blow away my time from last year, but finally bring a half-marathon in under two hours. My new approach to training the last several months has included weekly speed and hill drills (along with increasing the number of LSD runs), so I think I potentially have a good shot at accomplishing that goal. But on the other hand (the older and wiser of the two), I really shouldn't try to do anything in Salt Lake City but have a good, solid long training run in order to find my way to the starting line of Ogden in top shape. I managed to talk my youngest sister into training to run SLC with me and that may be just the trick to keep my pace slow in order to run the entire race with her. But on the other hand (yes, I have three hands... did I neglect to share that here??), my kid sister is ten years younger than me and we all know how twenty-somethings have the propensity to show up us geriatric folks on any given occasion. So, who knows what'll happen.

Actually, I know darn well what'll happen. I'll go all out, stoked to be racing again, forget all about saving myself for my marathon, leave my sister in the dust (what does she care?... she's still 25, the punk), finish in a nifty time (PR or not) and then pay for it for the next couple of weeks with achy muscles and sluggish recovery runs. Sounds glorious, doesn't it?!

Besides, if it doesn't work out, there's always plenty of squirrels to watch around here.

7 comments:

Zach said...

You don't know me, but I'll be volunteering at the SL Mary and running the Ogden Marathon too, so I'm bound to run into you (so to speak, haha). Anyway, good luck, have fun, and run strong!

robison52 said...

Howdy! Long time no hear! How I wish I could join you in Salt Lake City, but Bean Town beckons me for its own unique form of torture and really can't squeeze in another race safely. I know you're capable of getting a PR at Salt Lake and can hardly wait to read your unique, juicy, details of your success.

Non-Runner Nancy said...

HA HA HA funny. So glad to hear you made it through winter and still training. BRAVO. That was a bad one. Good for you!! Good luck in the races...

Ovens2Betsy said...

Yeah Angie! So good to see you blogging again. As for Salt Lake, I think you could shoot for a PR and still be fresh for the marathon (I say that 'cuz I'll be trying to do the same -- PR in a half a month from my full!). Just be sure to work in a mini-taper and recovery period.

Also, did you happen to see my post about my new shoes? Like you, I've been wearing the Asics Gel Foundation 7s, however, my PT said that I need a neutral to moderate support shoe. I've switched to Brooks Defyance and they've been working out VERY well.

Frayed Laces said...

welcome back! Congrats on signing up for those races--you're gonna rock em both!

See Zanne Run said...

woah! tall girl running emerges from the depths of an idaho winter to blog again! glad you're back & still running! don't leave us all hanging on your SLC race report ... would be nice to have it in the same millenium.

welcome back!

See Zanne Run said...

snarky comment made with much love! i am overjoyed to be reading about your adventures again!