Monday, September 03, 2007

Target Practice

I ran my last long run before my marathon this morning on a grueling farming hill route in order to give my legs some practice running downhill. Twelve miles of hills felt exponentially tougher than 20 miles of flat, that's fer darn sure. It didn't help I've been recovering from a touch of the flu the last several days. My last couple of runs have been lousy because of it, but I knew if I could gut this one out somehow, I'd be more or less home free until the race. It wasn't pretty, but I got it done all the same.

Halfway into the run on my second loop, there appeared a large yellow bi-plane over the trail I was running. I hoped it was just out for a morning pleasure flight, then rolled my eyes as it swooped down close to the ground and I realized it was a cropduster. Grrrrreat, I thought. As if I'm not having a hard enough time breathing as it is, now I'll have to worry about inhaling stinky pesticide. Soon enough, I realized it was going to pass right overhead of me if I kept running. So, I slowed to a walk and allowed it to zoom by, then waited for the air to clear of the poison before I attempted to run through the haze left behind. Kinda cool, actually, hearing the roar of the engine and the flash of color as it flew overhead.

It really was only cool the first time, though. Less than a minute later, I saw it circle around again and I had to repeat the same disruptive routine. Finally, after the third or fourth time of this (each time more annoying), I reached the end of the trail and turned south. The plane was still doing its thing, but now I would be running alongside it instead of underneath it.

All was well until... What the Bloody H???

I heard the plane approaching again, but this time instead of flying vertically across the fields, it had changed direction and was coming horizontally... again passing right overhead of me as it dropped its stuff. And again, I had to stop and wait. Against my better sense, I wondered out loud if it was actually aiming for me. I glared down the pilot as he passed by as if he could see me and be intimidated by my dirty look and shaking fist. Maybe he was, though, because I didn't see him again after that.

Target practice for a potato field cropduster. All in an Idaho's run.

4 comments:

Chad said...

Sounds like a scene from a Cary Grant movie! Was there a handsome stranger in a suit nearby?

The good news is he wasn't a manure spreader!

robison52 said...

Reminds me of the old Hitchcock movie starring Cary Grant, "North by Northwest."

You got it done!! Have a great taper!!

Joe said...

That's just like that classic movie, "North by Northwest"!

See Zanne Run said...

haha - as i was reading this, i thought the very same as two previous commenters - you had yourself a little north by northwest moment ...