Friday, August 31, 2007

Zzzzzzzzz...

I don't know what it is exactly, but I've been doing an inordinate amount of napping lately. I think the likely culprit is the fact school has started again for my kids, forcing me to get out of bed at least a good hour earlier than I'd accustomed myself to doing during the summer. (Hey! summer vacation isn't just for the kids!) Also possible is that during the same week, I ran forty miles... the maximum amount of mileage I've ever run during one week. Toss in a little emotional distress from funerals and whatnot, and you've got one tired tall girl running.

I've always been this way, really. In high school, I'd come home at 3:30 and have a couple of hours before I had to get to my job at the pizza joint. You'd think a student as conscientious (read: nerdy) about getting good grades as I was would have spent that time wisely in doing my homework rather than putting it off until after work, when who knows how late it would be. But nooooooo. Almost without fail, I came in the house every day after school and headed straight to my parents' bed (why their bed, I'm not sure... it was just fluffy and comfortable and felt like home). Somehow, I'd manage to wake myself up just in time enough to throw on my work uniform and dash out the door. My folks still rib me about spending the better part of my high school years zonked out in their bed.

If you think I must've gone to bed ridiculously late to have needed a nap every day, you'd be mistaken. When I didn't have to work late, I found going to bed early one of life's greatest pleasures. I'd actually go out with my friends on the weekends around nine and after a while of cruising Main Street and hitting a few hot spots, I'd tell them I was tired and wanted to go home to bed. This was before 11:00... of the same night. I know they were true friends because they'd actually leave what they were doing and take me home, then head out again to make the most of what was left of the night before their curfews. If I was the one driving... well... they were just plumb out of luck. As Captain Obvious would deduce, I didn't get into a whole lot of trouble as a teenager.

Of course, it goes without saying that I enjoy the fine art of sleeping in. I figured out very early on in my childood there is no cartoon good enough to wake up before ten on a Saturday morning to watch. Armed with that wisdom, I bonded with my bed on weekends as late as I possibly could over the years. My parents, bless their forgiving souls, would usually let me get away with it. "Poor girl," they must have thought, "she was out past eleven last night!" Every once in awhile, my dad found it amusing to wake me up earlier than my personal internal alarm clock dictated. His favorite method was putting on a men's choral rendition of the local University's fight song on the stereo speakers through the house, then turning it up at full volume. He'd then come marching into my room, doing circles around my bed until I sat up, moaning and bellyaching about being awoken before noon. He'd force me to sing along with the lyrics because only then did he know I was fully awake and wouldn't turn over and go right back to sleep. To this day, I can still sing every word of the entire fight song. (Curse you, Dad.) As annoying as that was, however, it wasn't nearly as bad as the method my dear grandfather used. On those rare occasions when I slept overnight at his house, he'd simply come into my room, place a firm hand on my shoulder and gently say, "Angie, people die in bed." There was just no arguing that.

So, here I am now... a full-grown adult with my own capability of choosing when and how long I sleep. For the most part, I'm very prudent and responsible. I retire at a respectable hour and I rise as early as needed, for whatever purpose. But when I get that urge to nap during the day, I don't fight it. The concept of power naps escapes me; it just doesn't work when it takes me longer to fall asleep that the actual nap is supposed to last. And so, my naps tend to be on the long side... an hour or more. I'd call it beauty sleep if I didn't wake up looking like a troll doll. There just ain't nothing beautiful about it. But once I'm able to put my mind and body at a subconscious rest for just a little while, I'm good to go. Make and serve dinner? I'm on it! Bill out a week's worth of medical claims at work? Consider it done! Chauffeur the kids to their respective activites? Let's go already! Run 20 miles? Bring. It. On.

I'm perfectly able to conquer the world every day. Just as long as I get some extra sleep first.

7 comments:

Charlie said...

LOL...My Dad would play military marches to wake us up on the weekends...John Philip Sousa! To this day...I hear one of his songs and it reminds me of my dear old Dad and the good times marching around the house in PJs. :o)

Charlie

Anonymous said...

Now you have pink hair?!?! ;-)

Izzy said...

I am jealous, I have never been very good at napping. Takes me too long to fall asleep and too long to wake up. But I can totally relate to the need to nap. I am getting a little tired of being tired all the time. Thank Heavens we are almost there. Long Live the Taper.

Allen said...

Ahhhh... naps. I love my daily naps!

Chad said...

Good luck - I wonder if there is a way to combine napping and running.

While not quite the expert sleeper that you appear to me, there is nothing finer than a nice nap zzzzzzzzzzzz

See Zanne Run said...

my dad used to come in my room, flip the shades up & shout "rise & shine!" ... funny how you never forget those things --

i adore a good nap ... and thanks to the heat & my 4:30 am wake up calls to rise & shine & beat said heat i find myself needing one almost daily too ... i hit the couch as soon as i put my girls on the bus ... and snooze shamelessly for about an hour and a half. then yes - i am totally ready to face the day! i just am thankful every single morning that i have the most flexible job on earth - and can work from home w/ out any deadlines. i cannot imagine waking up at 4:30, doing my workouts & then dragging my sorry, sore, tired arse in for a day at the office. i get to wake up from said nap, flip on laptop & get to work - usually, still in my running clothes.

Rosie said...

Naps really are the best. Good job on the 20miler!