Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Showtime

I'm looking at the countdown timer to my race and trying not to panic.

Two days. Ten hours. And change.

I've run a handful of races now, but can't ever seem to get over these pre-race jitters. Every little thought in my head is exacerbated by anxiety:

That twinge I felt in my knee today... is that my old knee injury making a very untimely reappearance?

That sneezing fit that caught hold of me this morning... am I coming down with typhoid fever ?

That pit I feel in the bottom of my stomach... am I dying of cancer???

Everything is cause for stress. Where will I park? What will I wear? What if my alarm clock doesn't go off? What if it rains? What if it doesn't?

When I finally take those first few running steps over the start line on Saturday morning, I'll be ready to rumble.

Until then, I'm just ready to crumble.







9 comments:

Ovens2Betsy said...

Angie,

Pre-race jitters are totally normal! I'm sure your race will be awesome. Above all, have fun.

Here's an Irish blessing for your trip:

May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
The sun shine warm upon your face
The lines to the loo be blessedly short

:)

Lickety Split said...

Good luck. Be the most fabulous Angie you can be!

Remember, Lickety doesn't care where you finish as long as you look good doing it!

See Zanne Run said...

get your game face on ... its go time!!!

run, girl, run!!

You'll be great ... cannot wait to read your race report.

Joe said...

Relax, relax! The likelihood of any of those things happening is low. Put those thoughts out of your mind RIGHT NOW and replace it with a visualization of you crossing the finish, strong and fast, to the FRENZIED applause and adoration of thousands of your fans.

robison52 said...

I've had the jitters ALL WEEK! I keep adding more items on my checklist, packed TWICE already, kept checking Salt Lake City's weather forcast for Saturday, which seems to change constantly! I'll explode once I get on that starting line. Looking forward to meeting you too!!!

Jim said...

Go get 'em blogfriend! Run your own race and have a blast.

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Hey!!! Good luck although I'm sure you don't need it!

Have fun! I honestly don't know how your functioning!! Im nervous and I still have 23 days to go!!

Ill be thinking of you guys on Saturday and I can't wait for the race report!!

Take Care, and Have Fun,

Tiger

Anonymous said...

You are a runner, remember? Getting through your training and making it to the starting line makes you a winner, Angie. The race is all gravy. Relax and have fun. We are all rooting for you.

Charlie said...

Angie...After doing a marathon, you will find a half is soo much easier...Have a blast!

Charlie