Thursday, March 29, 2007

Volleytopia

For cross-training, I've been playing a lot of pick-up city league volleyball, which, in my humble opinion, is the perfect sport.


Basketball? Pfftt. WAY too much running.

Swimming? Requires putting on a swimsuit... something I avoid at all costs.

Ping-Pong? I could put my eye out!

Golf? Seriously, folks. We're talking about real sports here.

Tennis? Too many balls to trip over.

Skiing? Yeah, right. Flying down a hill faster than a speeding bullet has "just maim me now and get it over with" written all over it.

Bowling? Too much potential to irrevocably embarrass myself.

So, as you can clearly see, volleyball is indeed the perfect sport. I fell in love with the game as a teenager and still would put aside just about anything for the chance to get onto a court for a good, friendly game of volleyball. Nothing relieves a little pent-up aggression like spiking a volleyball down somebody's throat.

My claws come out when I play volleyball. Any other time, you'll get pleasant, easy-going, introverted Me.

But on the volleyball court... your ass is mine.




6 comments:

Charlie said...

Volleyball?...Yeah...you do run a bit now and then...jump some here and there...great potential for a twisted ankle...or even a great big ball in the eye! :O

Basketball? Pfftt. WAY too much running...Yeah...and you could twist an ankle or worse!

Swimming? Requires putting on a swimsuit... something I avoid at all costs...But you're in the WATER!...and no one minds looking at swimsuits...and.it is an excellent very low impact, highly aerobic cross training exercise.

Ping-Pong? I could put my eye out!...That's why they make safety goggles :o)...Racquetball is soo much better though!


Golf? Seriously, folks. We're talking about real sports here...I can't believe you don't think golf is a sport! :o|...You’re walking at least 5 miles or more...depends on how many times you lose your ball...you have to carry this bag with all your clubs-through the woods, weeds and water...and you're constantly trying to swat a small ball long distances...GOLF is definitely a sport!


Tennis? Too many balls to trip over...Helloooo...you only use one ball at a time!


Skiing? Yeah, right. Flying down a hill faster than a speeding bullet has "just maim me now and get it over with" written all over it...I agree with this one...much tooo dangerous!


Bowling? Too much potential to irrevocably embarrass myself...I don't consider this one a sport at all...all you are doing is drinking beer and heaving a heavy ball down a lane...only exercise you get is your arms.

But you forgot soccer, biking, rollerblading...or skating, dancing...Is dancing a sport?

Charlie

mrjwhit~ said...

Excellent blog Angie. I'll certainly check in on you from time to time. Thanks for sharing.

Joe said...

> Golf? Seriously, folks.
> We're talking about
> real sports here.

Indeed! It's more of a pastime than a true sport.

Neese said...

Hi Angie! I'm Neese, and I'm tall too! LOL -- good to see another tall gal out there running, have a great weekend.

Chad said...

Authoritative challenge!

I'll make sure not to play volleyball against you, I have a feeling that I would need dental floss to pick the ball out of my teeth afterward.

See Zanne Run said...

girlfriend - you live in idaho!! no skiing? now, if i had mountains & snow here ... ahhh - i can just dream about cross training on the slopes. i stick with the cliche bike, swim thing ... anything that involves a ball is out for me. i'm that girl who's afraid of the ball ...