Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Simple Pleasures

Remember when you were a kid and going out to play in the rain was more fun than you could possibly stand? Splashing in the puddles, twirling your umbrella, catching raindrops in your mouth, letting your clothes get soaking wet. All the while knowing your mom would scold you something fierce once you came in the house and dripped water all over the floor, but knowing if anything was worth a good scolding... this was it. Playing in the rain was one of the best things about being a kid.

Some things don't change much.

Last night, I went running in the rain... on purpose. I hadn't planned on running at all yesterday, but when the afternoon grew on and the drizzle was still coming down, I couldn't resist any longer.

Running in the rain is an experience I honestly can't describe, but I'm fairly confident anyone who's done it knows exactly what I mean. The first few minutes aren't altogether comfortable; all too often, we do everyone we can to avoid being in the rain, so it takes awhile to get used to the sensation of being fully clothed and getting wet. But once that initial shock is over, I think it must be the most invogorating feeling in the world... splashing through the puddles, feeling the coolness of the raindrops hit my skin, breathing in the newly-cleansed air, hearing the silence of the world around me except for the sound of water falling on the earth.

I'm so tempted to break out in song Gene Kelly-style at the top of my lungs to express my exuberance at experiencing one of life's most simple pleasures. Until I'm reminded I don't have tap-dancing skills. And oh yeah, I'm supposed to be running, not putting on a Broadway musical.

But what a glorious feeling. I'm... happy again!

6 comments:

Jim said...

Just knowing that I'm out there running in the rain while the huddled masses are, well, huddling inside where it's dry, is so rewarding to me. I never tried running while dancing and carrying an umbrella, though. Hmmmm, can you say cross-training?

Chad said...

I wish I had rain to run in :-(

afuntanilla said...

great post! i, too, love running in the rain...especially a spring/summer rain that we get so often in atlanta!!

sounds like u had a blast

See Zanne Run said...

exactly the way i feel about running in the fresh fallen snow, when big flakes are still coming down. a rare occurance in my parts though ...

robison52 said...

It rains so rarely in Las Vegas that it's a MUST whenever it does rain...I actually ran in the rain last Tuesday, which was a special treat! Another plus, my fellow cab drivers are able to get a much needed shower!!

Joe said...

I know all too well what it's like to run in the rain -- Vancouver is in a rain forest. Actually, I too like to run in the rain as long as it's not dark and super cold.