Saturday, January 13, 2007

Deja Vu

Apparently, I have a training partner now. You might remember him. (Hint: he looks suspiciously like a golden labrador.) I've named him PITA. That's actually an acronym for something else, but I'll leave it at that since my mother reads this blog.

So, PITA and I ran long today. Eight miles. When the weather finally spiked above zero, I knew it was time to hit the road. Again, I was surprised by the pleasure of PITA's company only a quarter mile into the run, but this time I knew better than to waste energy trying to discourage him from joining me. I commented to my training partner that it appeared he was only wearing one layer (compared to my five) and he might want to put on another coat to stay warm. He just stared blankly at me, as if I was talking out loud to a dog or something.

I'd warmed up for ten minutes on my treadmill before setting out, which proved to be a brilliant idea. By then, I'd worked up the start of a good sweat and stepping out into the single-digit air actually felt good. A neighbor passing by rolled down his window and questioned out loud my sanity, but the wind was calm, the sun was shining brightly and I never once felt uncomfortable due to the cold. I even shed my fifth layer of clothing halfway into the run.

Eight miles today felt absolutely fantastic. My body was well rested, my legs felt fresh and my training partner kept me on pace. I am experimenting with a different walking strategy for this round of training. Instead of taking the one minute break every mile, I'm cutting them in half and taking them every two miles. I'll have to check the website for the SLC half, but usually that is how far apart the aid stations are situated and my desire is to walk only through the water stops. I managed it today just fine, which is extremely encouraging to me.

On my cool-down walk, I stopped by my partner's house and knocked on the door to let the folks there know their dog was now officially in training. The owner laughed and apologized. I told him I really didn't mind, but I do worry about about the dog getting hit by a car or getting lost while out with me. Coincidentally, I learned the dog's name is the same as my six-year old's, which seems a little weird to me, but I'm sure will just tickle her.

But I'm still going to call it PITA.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would PITA stand for Pain In The Ankles?

Angie said...

Mom???

robison52 said...

Gosh, FIVE layers of clothing!! I would look like a stiff GUMBY with that much clothing! I wouldn't need to worry about cars as that much clothing I'd bounce off. Needless to say, Las Vegas is thankfully warmer than up there...but still ran in 30 degree weather!

Angie said...

Well, keep in mind one layer was my sports bra, another a light sleeveless top and another a sleeveless fleece vest.

Five layers just sounds impressive. ;-)