Saturday, June 07, 2008

Kiss My Piriformis

My dad, a long-time, faithful reader of mine, recently made a passing comment that it seemed I was swearing more often on my blog these days. He was right, I had to admit. But in my defense, I quickly retorted if it took him five hours to run his last marathon after training for 4 1/2 months through the worst winter EV-ER, he'd have a few choice words too, dagnabbit!

Nevertheless, not one to willingly disappoint my father, I pledge to keep this blog entry cuss-free. Rated G. Family friendly. Gather around the dinner table and leave it to Beaver.

No promises on the next one, though.

So, I've been getting back to business with my running since the debacle that was the Ogden marathon three weeks ago. After two weeks of learning how to run again on legs that were supremely annoyed about covering 26.2 miles on foot, I finally turned the corner this week with some great runs. With my next three races already mapped out to fill out my summer schedule (a 5K in July and two half-marathons in August), I've started easing back into some quasi-serious training for them. Basically, I'm pretending to train, but not letting my legs in on it in case they think they actually have a choice in the matter. If they did, I'm pretty sure there would be some #2 hitting the fan.

See, I'm still dealing with a few nasty leftover ITBS remnants from the marathon. More specifically, I've got a pain in my piriformis (that well-used muscle in the upper butt-ocks). It was part of my downfall in Ogden when my legs tightened up on me halfway through the race and three weeks later, it's still hanging around like it owns the place. Fortunately, I've been able to achieve quite a bit of healing through the rest of my ITB's by faithfully using the foam roller I bought from my physical therapist after the marathon. I really wish I'd stumbled onto that three-foot piece of magic a long time ago as it's done some remarkable things for my legs. Still, my piriformis is a stubborn one, as piriformises (piriformisi?) go. So, I'll just continue daily bonding with the foam roller while flipping my piriformis the bird and telling it to go to heck.

That'll teach the son of a gun.

6 comments:

Peter said...

Use a tennis ball to get in there. It really works (to make you cry like a baby)...

TNTcoach Ken said...

Damn, I hate when that haapens! Talk about a f#@kin pain in the a$$...Ha. We Dads always want our little girls to be good.

robison52 said...

You'll be forever your daddy's little girl!

Nitmos said...

Frick ya! Way to kick its heiney! Or, your heiney.

Keep with ITB stretches also. Whenever mine starts barking, I can usually stretch it back into submission.

See Zanne Run said...

oh girl, i hear ya ... on both the need to use obscenities and the itb/piriformis stuff. try a tennis ball for the piriformis. agree with first commenter - it'll make you cry for yo momma, but it will do the trick. and gosh darn that foam roller, hurts like a mo - um, hurts a lot - but it works!

Alisa said...

Did you see this article in runner's world???

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286-289-12630-0,00.html

I just started getting that same pain...it is terrible! I've started these exercises and started standing at work with my laptop. It's helping a little. Every little bit helps.