Wednesday, May 21, 2008

1,000 Words

A photo/video documentary of The Meltdown in Ogden. Be warned, folks... it gets ugly.

Quick snapshot of me in the hotel before heading out. Look at how obliviously happy I am. Giddy almost. Did I think I was going to the amusement park or something?


Mile 8, when things were still looking up. My sister joined in at this point to knock out a couple miles with me. My right knee was starting to talk to me a little (we'd been going downhill already for about six miles) but I was doing my best to ignore it. Still completely oblivious to the forthcoming doom.








Mile 16. Both my ITB's, from my glutes around my hips down my thighs and into my outer knees had locked up by this point. I didn't have any flexibility in them at all and felt like I was dragging along two enormous tree stumps with every step. The pain wasn't too bad yet, though, so I was still doing my best to push forward. The heat was really settling in now and we were totally exposed to it for another several miles.





Mile 18, when the bottom starting falling out from underneath me. The course began a steep descent and the ache in my legs went from being a minor nuisance to a severe detriment (as can be seen by the "just put me out of my misery now" expression on my face). I walked more than half of the next five miles. This was where I was planning my funeral and it was going to be beautiful. Sniff.



Mile 21, when I gave up the ghost and started walking. Pretty sure this one was snapped right after my sister told me one of her bad jokes.




Couple of the professional pictures taken on the course. I did everything I could to at least be running when I saw the camera. Not an easy task.




Mile 26.2, nearly five hours later. Although I heard noise and saw people, I didn't know where the hell I was. Check out the gimpy limp while I'm running toward the finish line. Damn, that's sexy.







5 comments:

Topher said...

Better to gimpy-limp across the finish line than be the guest of honor at the funeral you were planning, isn't it? Just curious, though, what hymns you'd picked out. "Master the Tempest is Raging", "Though Deepening Trials", "Where Can I Turn for Peace?", "Does the Journey Seem Long"? These are my favs for my long runs. Congratulations even if you think your marathon sucked.

Topher said...

ps - I have a future post planned concerning songs to get me through my upcoming marathon training, so I call dibs. Just so you don't steal my thunder...

Tall Girl Running said...

Topher,

It was between those and "Pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked...".

Can one call dibs on blog posts?? If I weren't in recovery mode and being so lazy, I might've challenged you on that.

Jen said...

I love singing hymn in my mind too! Some of my favorite are "Abide With Me", "How Firm a Foundation", and "I Need Thee Every Hour". Did you hear Sister Dalton's talk during the YW Broadcast. She talked about her Boston experience and what got her through. Amazing!

Christie said...

I know I'm all kinds of late. But I hope it's not too late to say that I really enjoyed your race report.