Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Cry for Help

I'm having a love/hate relationship right now with my running and I know exactly what to blame.

The weather.

The stinking cold, wet, icy, snowy, windy, miserable, even-the-depths-of-Hell-have-to-be-better-than-this Idaho weather.

I can't remember the last time I ran under what could even remotely resemble a sunny sky.

Seriously, folks... can't remember.

Seems for weeks now I've been running in crummy conditions and my performances are suffering. I officially start training for my third marathon on Monday and instead of heading into it with a gung-ho full head of steam, I'm dreading it like it's a death march. I don't know if I can do this.

Seriously, folks... don't know.

Today, I ran-- no, make that tentatively jogged-- 10 miles through half a foot of snow on roads that hadn't yet been plowed. The sky was dark and threatening to drop more of the white stuff any moment. The wind was howling; the snow was drifting. I felt like I was on some extreme Himalayan adventure, complete with several layers of clothing from head to toe and ice cleats covering my shoes. My exposed face was attacked with what felt like hundreds of tiny darts. The ponytail in my hair turned into an icicle and could have been used as a weapon had I any need to defend myself. I didn't, of course, because no other person or animal is crazy enough to go outside in weather like this, let alone run ten miles in it. To top it off, when I finally got home, I took a few minutes to stretch and hydrate then slipped into... you ready for this?... an ice bath.

Why do I have such a fetish for torturing myself?

Somebody please help me.

7 comments:

robison52 said...

I also start training on Monday for the Boston Marathon, which is only 16 weeks away! I've just recently finished the 2007 New Las Vegas Marathon and was also dreading the many upcoming hard training miles in the cold (not as cold as Idaho, but cold for us Vegans). I've decided to do something different for marathon training, I'm going to experiment with the "FIRST Training Program" where I have only THREE quality runs, and instead of recovery runs will do cross-training. I hope this new training adventure will add much needed relief and spice to my runs. Maybe you could find a change in your routine too?

Christie said...

Ice bath? Oh my. You're better than me. But give yourself credit for getting off the couch and doing something. Keep at it and before you know it, it'll be spring again.

Topher said...

gosh, wish I could say something meaningful and motivating, but your description makes me want to continue this week-long hiatus from running that I find myself in and just hibernate until April. Guess that doesn't work for your training plan. Good luck.

Bev said...

The weather sucks, but don't you feel like a super stud when you make a run like that? Not many others could do that. Give yourself some major credit.

Non-Runner Nancy said...

OMG this is so cute. Love the Lucy booth. I am in the same boat except I have just let it get the best of me. I'm not up to trapsing through the snow since I worry every step about a back spasm. Blech. The icy pony tail gave me shivers.

Will you not try the treadmill at all? Not even with a great movie or some favorite thing on TiVo? I can get through it with some good on.

Good luck. You are doing the hard work now that will totally be rewarded.

See Zanne Run said...

um yeah. this was the first morning in a long time that i wondered what the hell i was doing. i was trying to pretend i was not a marathoner. and it worked. i went back to bed instead of out in the pre-dawn dark 23 degrees. you crack me up. always love your writing.

running in this weather makes you a total badass. and that ice-weapon of ponytail just adds to the whole bad ass thing.

Ovens2Betsy said...

While I certainly felt for you while reading about the horrid running conditions, what TRULY makes you a badarse in my book is the ice bath!!! I attempted that a couple of weeks ago and went yiping from the bathtub after just putting my feet in (I hadn't even added the ice yet)!