Saturday, November 24, 2007

Smoked Turkey Trot

It wasn't the most eventful of races (the most interesting bit being that I ran the entire race with completely numb fingers and toes due to the 12 degree temperature), but I started off my Thanksgiving Day this week by smoking my personal 10K record at the local charity race. I cut more than three minutes off my best time and averaged a pace I haven't been able to sustain for this distance up until just recently. Needless to say, I came away from it very pleased and promptly rewarded myself by guiltlessly consuming twice as many calories as I'd burned, followed by shamelessly napping upright in the LazyBoy for the rest of the afternoon.


Hope it was an equally grand day for everyone!

8 comments:

Ovens2Betsy said...

Can't say I beat any personal bests running, but in the calorie-consuming category, I think I'm right up there! (Why, oh why, did I agree to be part of a weight loss challenge this time of year?!!!)

Charlie said...

Angie...Congratulations on having a great time and a great PR!

I don't think Thanksgiving eating calories are that bad...everyone does it. That's one of the reasons I run is so that I can eat more!

Happy Thanksgiving Holidays to you!
Charlie

See Zanne Run said...

woo hoo! i was too tired to even consider running a turkey trot - and now with my new schedule of twice a week intervals, i scrapped any ideas of smoking the couple of winter 5k's i had my eye on. not even going to do them since i'll have essentially done them earlier in week. love that feeling - glad you got to enjoy it! bet that was a really, really good nap!

robison52 said...

Congrats on such a HUGE PR in the 10k!! I can't even imagine running in 12 degree temperatures...you're one tough runner!!

Frayed Laces said...

Hear that? It's the sound of weeping from everyone you passed in the race. CONGRATS on your PR! Woo!

Joe said...

Wow! Three minutes faster! That's insane!

Allen said...

Way to go!

Mommy Donna said...

Hey, just discovered your blog and I have to say I love it! I'm a new runner (about 6 months), painfully slow, but love to participate in 5K's and other races. I'm sort of considering a 1/2 marathon, but the aches and pains I get with running more than 4 miles make me wonder if it's worth it. I LOVED your essay about why you run. I get it. Totally.
I took up running rather late in life (I'm 37) after the birth of my 3rd and final child. I look forward to reading your old and future posts!