Sunday, November 04, 2007

Arriba! Arriba!

As I mentioned briefly in my last post, I've been experiencing some of my strongest workouts ever since my last marathon. Fact is, at the risk of placing all humility aside, I'm quite amazed at myself the last few weeks with the improvements I've been making. Somehow, without my hardly realizing it at all, my body has learned to comfortably run faster. Quite a bit faster. So much faster, in fact, that I have to constantly do double takes at my GPS to verify the numbers I'm seeing.

Now, I won't actually specify what pace I'm running these days because what's recently become my SGP (Speedy Gonzalez Pace) is the next person's LSD pace on a really bad day. So, while daring somebody to eat my dust would be wildly inappropriate, at least I can truthfully claim I'm no longer eating my own. And recognizing what an individual sport running is, I can't help but be pleased.

I don't know what to attribute my success to exactly. Maybe it's the natural result of an effective recovery period. Maybe it's that I've cut my running down to three days a week instead of four while I'm not training. Maybe it's simply the cooler weather. Regardless the reason, I'm giving myself a hearty pat on the back... or the legs, as it were.

Somebody might want to warn The Road Runner.

13 comments:

Frayed Laces said...

Woo! Way to go! It's amazing how uplifting moments like that can carry you for awhile. Don't question your improved times, just take it and roll with it!

Laurel said...

Congratulations!! That's great! This gives me hope since I haven't been able run since the marathon because of a case of runner's knee. Maybe by resting properly and healing right, I will end up a better runner as well.

Ha! Imagine that! ;)

Allen said...

Hey, that is great news, really great!! However, don't get discouraged when you hit a slump. Right now, you're in a peak, and slumps always follow peaks; just the nature of the beast! When it happens, just give yourself a day or two of extra rest, as well as a rest week of say 80% of what you're doing now, and you'll be back heading to another peak. In fact, throw in a rest week every month like Bruce is doing, and you can keep the slumps away.

Yep, you've given us great news!

Tall Girl Running said...

That's good advice, Allen, and I'm proud to say I've been following it. In fact, I just took a fallback week after three weeks of building up the mileage of my long runs again.

Although I say I'm not training, that isn't entirely true as I do have this Thanksgiving 10K on the horizon with every intention of coming away with a solid PB. I certainly don't want to hit a slump in the next couple of weeks!

Ovens2Betsy said...

Good to see you're also exercising those blogging fingers! I've missed your witty posts.

overitall said...

Arriba! Arriba! Andale! Andale!

WTG! Speedy!

Peter said...

And one persons SGP is another's race pace. Sigh.

P.O.M. said...

Whoo hoo. It's times like this that make us keep running when the times get tough :) Way to go.

See Zanne Run said...

woo hoo! you go girl ...

Joe said...

I think racing always makes you faster...if you survive the race.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

I'm sure smart training is the biggest reason, but the cooler temps help as well. Faster than yourself is more important than faster than anyone else. This sport is about reaching your own potential, not somebody elses.

Rock on!

Jim said...

Hey Angie,

Thanks for your comment on my largely hibernating blog. I've just updated it with a post that explains what's up on my end.

Cheers,

Jim

SAM said...

Many congrats - please celebrate by enjoying the fact that you have been TAGGED. Go to:

http://runningandthinking.blogspot.com/2007/11/
tagged.html