Thursday, October 04, 2007

Oh, My Aching Back

My back's been giving me grief the last week and I'm not sure what to blame. Could be the hours at work I spend hunched over my desk crunching insurance claim numbers (I've never been known to have perfectly good posture). Could be my seven-year-old daughter digressing into an old habit and migrating into my bed sometime during the night--every night-- forcing me to sleep on the very edge of the mattress while she sprawls out in the shape of any given letter of the alphabet. Could be the new hill workouts I've been doing to shake up my exercise routine. Could be the cold I'm desperately trying to ward off, causing that tell-tale muscle achiness everywhere there is to ache.


Or, could be I'm just getting old and decrepit. Sigh... that must be it.

Regardless, I've found the only time my back doesn't really hurt has been when I'm running. I had to force myself to go to the gym yesterday when my back was just killing me, but for the ensuing two hours I felt as young and viable as a teenager again. Soon as I came home, though, I was back to my ever-aging and decrepiting self.

Since I can't very well run 24 hours a day just to keep my back from hurting, I need to figure out a reasonable alternative. Maybe I need to be more diligent about doing yoga. Maybe I need to incorporate some back strengthening exercises at the gym to counteract my bad posture.

Or maybe I just need to to buy a walker and a few tennis balls and call it good.

9 comments:

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

I'm putting my money on...all of the above. A combination of strength training and stretching will probably improve things...that and getting the 7-year-old to stay in her bed. ;-)

And by the way, you actually can run for 24-hours...at least I hope so since that's the insanity I signed up for in December. Uhggg.

Tall Girl Running said...

With all due respect, Chad... you crazy.

Allen Leigh said...

Yep, Angie, you're getting old. Better get your walker tuned up :)

Hope you figure it out and take care of it. In the meantime I would stay from speed and hills for a while and follow Chad's suggestion for strengthening your stomach and back.

See Zanne Run said...

two words: strength training! yes -some back strengthening exercises will serve you well! i've just made it through 18 weeks of marathon training without a recurrance of my lower back issues that plagued me in the spring & early summer ... i think almost entirely due to my core work & back exercises!

P.O.M. said...

What do you mean you can't run 24 hours a day? Come on...
ha ha

Have a great weekend!

Mother Smuckers said...

Aging sucks but "old" is just a state of mind.

You've got a nice blog here, keep after it.

Maddy said...

I have the same problem, with the daughter, between her and the Great Dane mix that thinks she's allowed to sleep on the bed, my back hurts some times too.

Advil. Lots of Advil.

Oh, and strength training.

Robb said...

I'm 6'4" and I believe that us tall beautiful people are prone to back trouble. Running helps me alot.

Nice blog!

Frayed Laces said...

I say get the walker. Then we can meet up and have a big pity party together! I'm on my way out the door to get my x-ray....fingers crossed!