Wednesday, October 17, 2007

And On the 27th Day...

In the running world, the general rule of thumb when it comes to recovering after a race is to take one full day for every mile that was run. In the case of a marathon, therefore, recovery lasts 26 days. Nearly a full month. Last Friday, my friends, was the 27th day. Click "play" below to gauge my mood upon reaching this milestone.




I behaved like a choir boy the last month, if I do say so myself. Telling me to not run at all is futile; however, I made it a point not to run more than an hour at a time (which, for a girl who loves to run long was a quite a sacrifice). I hit the gym several times to pick up some strength training I'd placed on the backburner during the peak of my training and I started playing a weekly game of pick-up volleyball to help fill the void of not running as much. But for the most part, I gave my running legs a break... my right knee in particular. When I tore the LCL two weeks after my first marathon, it perpetually complained about cooperating with me during training, but my behavior has been so stellar after this marathon it hasn't dared say a word.

So, what's next you ask? Well. I have a score to settle on my 10K PR. The one and only 10K I've run was two weeks after my half-marathon in Salt Lake City earlier this spring... a half-marathon which I ran faster than any six foot tall woman should ever run. I was still very much in recovery mode and although I put out a respectable effort at the 10K, my time was sorely disappointing for me. Thanksgiving morning will give me the opportunity to avenge myself.

In the meantime, I'm working up my mileage again slowly and plan to get to the point of running a 13-miler every weekend for the rest of the year. The goal is to accustom my body to that distance so it feels like a piece of cake to run, then when January rolls around I'll have a rock solid foundation to build upon for my spring marathon. And this time, I'm getting down to business... we're talking speed drills, hill workouts and long runs up to 24 miles. That's a few months down the road, though. For now, I celebrated Day 27 by running my fastest timed 5K distance ever.

Look out, World... I'm recovered and rarin' to go once again!


16 comments:

AddictedToEndorphins said...

WELCOME BACK, Angie!

I'm sure you'll settle that 10k PR
=0)

Laurel said...

WOO! Awesome job on the 5K PR!!!

I think it sounds like a great plan! I am planning on doing my first 10K during the Turkey Trot this year. I have done so many 6 mile runs in the past few months of training I think I need to try one out. Hopefully I can pull a decent time.

Can't wait to read about the training!

Ovens2Betsy said...

WAAAAAAA!!!

My PT has curtailed my running for about 2 weeks until my hip pain is fully healed. Although she gave me the go-ahead to do deep water running and to use the elliptical machine, it's just not the same!

Like you, I was planning on trying to best my 10k PR last weekend, then I was going to run a 5K on Oct. 27. But I have to take it easy :(

So it looks I'll be "running" vicariously through you!

robison52 said...

I don't take a complete rest after a marathon either, and like Allen's idea of a "reverse taper."

Getting revenge on that 10k distance is the ticket! Any hint on what your 10k goal time might be?

10k's are so rare in Vegas that I've been seriously considering on running a Turkey Trot 10k, which is crazy as I'll be tapering for the New Las Vegas Marathon on December 2nd...maybe pretend it's a very fast speed workout???

You have a solid plan for the fall and will be a monster runner in 2008!!!

See Zanne Run said...

woo hoo!!! your boy-scout dedication to your recovery is going to serve you well ... i am going to try to be like you when i grow up (or starting next week, to be exact).

awesome job on your 5k pr ... how fun is that!?

you are gonna totally settle a score with that 10k on Thanksgiving morning! you rock.

Mother Smuckers said...

WOOHOO!

Look out 10k PR!


...

overitall said...

You ROCK!!

I am doing my 1st 5k ever this Saturday..and then I am doing my 2nd next Saturday...what am I thinking?LOL

Alisa said...

I love the tradition of the Turkey Trot. My husband and I do one every year...we have moved a lot in the past 4 years but every new place we go we search out the T-Day tradition. For me, it helps to lessen the guilt of the T-Day dinner =).

P.O.M. said...

My dear boyfriend didn't understand the whole "recovery" thing. This morning, he said "Why arn't you running?" Uhm... babe, I just did a MARATHON. He thought I just decided to be lazy now. DOY.

Jim said...

Speaking of Thanksgiving.... My wife has friends in Boise who will be moving to Boston early next year, and they really want us to visit them in Idaho before they leave, and we really want to visit as well. So we looked into a trip during Thanksgiving break, grabbing a day of skiing, and generally enjoying the beauty that is Idaho.

No Way! Turns out to be waaaay cost prohibitive for our family of 5 to fly during Thanksgiving week. I HATE how airlines price gouge during peak travel times.

If we DO make it out there before they leave, though, I'll let you know.

Stephanie said...

My favorite part of the race is the recovery! Love your blog...as another 6 foot female runner I've enjoyed it for a while now. I just started my own blog, check it out if you get a chance. http://www.rasmussen.edu/net/blog/Blogs.aspx?id=19

Congrats on your PR'd 5k!
Stephanie

Mother Smuckers said...

Busy?


...

Frayed Laces said...

Yay 5K PR! Woo! I completely understand feeling antsy about not running. You are way better than I could be! I'll probably be seeking advice from you in December during my rest time. In the meantime...go get that 10k PR girl!

Mother Smuckers said...

Where's Tall Running Girl
Nothing new posted in days
That makes us so sad


...

the last spartan said...

Yes, especially for those of us who decided to go out and buy a pair of running shoes to make up for her absence...;-)

Joe said...

You go, Girl! Get back on that horse!