Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Tentative Determination

I've been a lousy excuse for a blogger recently and apologize to those of you who come by regularly only to find I've posted a whole lot of nothing. I'll blame summer vacation and the heat. My creative juices seem to flow like a thick melted ice cream cone when it's hot outside.


I do have some news to report, however, and perhaps it won't come as much of a surprise with some of the hints I've been dropping via random links on my blog. I have decided to go for broke and train for another full marathon this fall. Now, lest you get all impressed and admire my unwavering sense of determined ambition, let me clarify something: I've started training for a fall marathon, but I'm only going to keep training if things are going well. You see, I have ambition, but only if it's convenient for me.

I'm ten days into a new program and so far, so good. But if six weeks from now, I find my legs are rebelling... or if I determine being away from home for hours and hours a week is too much of a sacrifice... or if I decide getting up early in the morning to run (in order to beat the heat) is for the birds... or if I discover there's just really much more reasonable ways to cover long distances than on foot... well... so much for the marathon training.

And that will be okay!

This is an experiment, really. A trial run, so to speak. I'm looking to find out if running full marathons is really my gig or if I'm perfectly content running a handful of half-marathons (which, of course, only requires half the amount of ambition).

So, wish me luck on my new adventure toward Marathon #2!

But don't hold me to it.

9 comments:

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Hey Angie,
Good luck on the training for your second full marathon!

I like how you're approaching your training. As an experiment!
Have you decided what training program you are going to use?

Enjoy the Journey!

Tall Girl Running said...

Thanks, Tiger! I'm (tentatively) excited. ;-)

I am using a personally modified version of Hal Higdon's novice marathon training program. (I think when it comes to marathon training, I'll always consider myself a novice.) I've adapted it according to what my past experience has suggested I am capable of handling, with always the caveat that my body has the last word. You can see my program with the link on the right side of my blog under "Track my Training".

robison52 said...

Like Tiger, I'm curious too, what marathon training schdules will you be experimenting? Which Marathon for your Marathon #2?? Don't worry, I won't hold you on it! I'll be running the Las Vegas Marathon again in December as to keep my streak alive, this will be my 7th LVM in a roll!!

Tall Girl Running said...

Bruce,

I'm shooting for the Top of Utah marathon on September 15th, a beautifully scenic (and downhill!) course through the Blacksmith Fork Canyon in northern Utah. If for any reason my training doesn't go well, I have a backup option with a marathon in Boise, Idaho in November. I'm still keeping that Las Vegas race in mind too!

After a lot of thought (as well as advice on the about.com forum), I decided the Runner's World FIRST program wasn't a good fit for me, so I'm going back to a tried and true Hal Higdon plan. I almost feel like I'm starting from scratch again because of the knee injury last summer which kept me somewhat at bay for several months. Since my marathon last summer, the longest I've run is 13.1 miles in Salt Lake City! So, I'm approaching this marathon as a novice again, albeit one with a little extra experience.

See Zanne Run said...

ha ha ... i was just about to ask (in the email i just sent you) what your next plan was. sounds like a good one - i won't hold you to it ... but good luck to you!!! training will certainly make for some good blogging stories. any thoughts on which fall one you'll do?

Allen said...

Hi Angie,

I've been expecting this announcement, and I think you're taking a sensible approach to the marathon. I assume that your new shoes are working out for you, and that is very good news! We all look forward to hearing your reports.

Jim said...

Ewe goh Gurl!We're all looking forward to following your Number 2 progress. (Wait, that did NOT sound right)

Joe said...

Congratulations on starting your new marathon adventure. A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single step...or something like that. I like your attitude too. Don't be afraid to change your plan if you get injured.

Chad said...

Good luck Angie. I'm thinking about training for a half here pretty soon, but there's a thought in the back of my mind about just running a marathon to see what it's like. I'll be watching your progress!!