Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Holy Motion Control, Batman!

This evening, after what felt like eons of waiting (nevermind the fact I have no clue how long an eon is), my new Asics Gel Foundation VII shoes were securely placed in my hands. I think the UPS guy was a little unsettled when I called him "my new best friend".

At least I didn't go in for a hug. Because, let me tell you, I was tempted.

The timing was perfect. Before I heard the knock on the door, I was grudgingly reaching for my old shoes to lace up in preparation for my last training run before my marathon relay on Saturday. Instead, I had the pleasure of slipping my foot into a brand-spankin'-new, fresh-from-the-box runner. I felt like Cinderella. Except maybe not quite as princess-ey.

I could tell immediately how worn the cushioning had been in my old pair of shoes and after just a couple of strolls around the house, I could really feel the extra stability along the inside of my heels. So, with a very satisfied smile on my face, I hit the gym and cranked out four easy miles on the treadmill. Then, riding my high, I triumphantly walked out the door, but instead of heading to my car, I took off down the road for another two miles in the streaming rain.

Funny what a new pair of shoes will do to ya.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent news! You should probably order your next pair tomorrow so you'll get them before these are worn out. :P

From the box right into the rain... a true die hard. Congrats!

Peter said...

Not to dull your enthusasm, but you might want to ease them in...

Been there, done that. Be careful!

Ovens2Betsy said...

I'm rethinking the shoe thing. They're so expensive, and I go through 2-3 per year. Perhaps we should do what this guy does:

http://www.pbase.com/r/image/79930948

(This is from the Green River Marathon; and yes, he ran the full this way. Is that crazy or WHAT?!!!)

See Zanne Run said...

finally! very happy for you & your feet. good luck this weekend! can't wait to read the report.

Joe said...

That's great! I love getting new running shoes.

Oh yeah, and I couldn't resist doing this:

eon
–noun
1. an indefinitely long period of time; age.
2. the largest division of geologic time, comprising two or more eras.
3. Astronomy. one billion years.

Allen said...

Angie, I'm curious. How many miles did you have on your old shoes?

Tall Girl Running said...

Allen,

I haven't made it a habit to track specifically how many miles I put on a pair of shoes (something I'm going to change with this new pair). However, I DO make note of when I start wearing them. I had been rotating two different pairs of Asics (same model) for nine months. My best estimate is that each pair had between 300 and 400 miles on them. That's pretty much in the range of needing to be replaced, isn't it?

robison52 said...

Did the "Postman Ring Twice"??

Jim said...

As the saying goes: If the feet ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Glad your pups are running on soft clouds.

Allen said...

I'm like you, I keep track of the dates but not the actual miles. People talk about getting 500 miles, so your 300-400 would be low, but I'm sure the # miles varies with the person and the shoe. I think the most important thing is to go by the feel of the shoes. When they start to feel flat, it's time to change. Are your new Asics the same model as your old ones? I was pleased to read your reaction to your new shoes, and I hope they serve you well!

For 20 years I wore an Etonic stability shoes, but after doing some recent reading about shoes, I learned that supinators like me should wear neutral shoes. So, I'm now wearing the new LOCO Carumba neutral shoe that just came out a few months ago. I'm curious to see how I do in neutral shoes. My main problem with running shoes is that the outside of the heel on my right foot becomes compressed. When I went to the stability shoe, it reduced the compression, so I thought I had the right shoe. Then, a few months ago I noticed that the heel of my stability shoes was compressed a bit, so I studied shoes and learned I should use neutral shoes. That makes sense since the stability shoes have a denser material on the inside, which would "push" my foot even more to the outside. I'm beginning to think that the reduced compression with the stability shoe was due to newer materials in the shoe rather than to the stability features in the shoe. This was back in the 80s when shoes weren't made as well as they are today.

Chad said...

I need a new pair of running shoes, I'll think I'll get them before the end of the month.