Monday, May 07, 2007

Slackering

Slackering-- if indeed there were such a word (and why shouldn't there be?)-- would best describe my state of activity for the last two weeks since Salt Lake City.

Not that I've been sleeping in until noon and watching Oprah in my flannel penguin jammies while eating chocolate bon-bons. Not that kind of slackering. I've just been taking a mini-vacation from my obsessive-compulsive tendencies when it comes to running. If I've felt like running, I've run. If I haven't... well... what's in the freezer and what's good on TV??

My slackering days are officially over, though... at least for another while. I've got a 10K on tap this weekend and even though it's only a small, local race, I'm excited to run it. It will be the first race of this distance I've run, so a personal best is guaranteed. Gotta love that! And if it's as small as I think it might be, I may even come home with an award for placing in my age division. Never mind there probably will only be three people in my age division to begin with. An award is an award. Ain't gonna take that away from me.

Four weeks after the 10K, I've committed to running a marathon relay with three of my girlfriends. Since they're all relatively new runners, I made a deal with them that I'd cover the first half of the race-- well, the first 12 miles anyway (math has never been my strong suit)-- if they'd split up the rest. Definitely no time for slackering there if I've gotta train for a near-half-marathon in a month.

Maybe I'll compromise, though, and do it in my penguin jammies.

7 comments:

AddictedToEndorphins said...

I wouldn't say 'slackering,' I would say recovering ;)

Way to encourage those new runner friends of yours! That should be fun!

Good luck on your 10k this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Slackering is how you prornounce it when you are loungering in jammeries with a frozer mouthf full o icercream. :)

Jim said...

Way to spread the love Angie, gettin' your girlfriends all fired up for running and everything. That's just plain good leadering.

robison52 said...

You deserved a well rested recovery! Sounds like you have a busy month planned. I'll be running a 10k too on May 26th, which feels like my first 10k race because I haven't ran that distance since 2004! Hang tough.

See Zanne Run said...

slackering? you deserve it! as a matter of fact ... maybe you should give seminars in slackering, cause i could use some know-how in the whole recovery department. you are a smart girl.
good luck this weekend - i'll be thinking good, karmic, age-group award thoughts for you ... go kick some 10k ass ... you're all rested up & ready to go ...

The Salty One said...

I see your comments on other people's blogs and I don't know what took me so long to check yours out! As for comments, all I have to say so far is do a marathon this year. It's only going to get harder to do one next year!

PS I love your 100 things about you. I think it's the best one I ever read.

Joe said...

I've been "slackering" too since my half marathon. No worries. We deserve it. Potato chips and beer never tasted so good.