Thursday, February 08, 2007

Footsies

If you will, allow me a moment of gratuitous self-adoration.

I have beautiful toes.

Before I started running, I would never have thought of my toes as something to brag about. I mean, if I'm going to brag about overlooked body parts, I'd draw your attention to something else. My eyelids, for example. I was once told I have outstanding eyelids. And my collar bones. I have collar bones that will knock your socks off.

But my toes? Honestly, I never even acknowledged I had toes before I started running. Unless, of course, I stubbed one. Then I made sure everybody within hearing distance knew not only that I had toes, but they were "$!*#!" toes at that.

I not only acknowledge my toes now, but am quite proud of the fact they are, in fact, beautiful. You would never know by looking at my toes that I am a long-distance runner. You'd never know by looking at my rear end that I'm a long-distance runner either, but that's a post for another day.

I'm especially humbly grateful for my beautiful toes after hearing horror stories about runners who-- and I say this in the nicest of ways-- have circus freak toes.

Case in point:

The morning of my marathon last summer, I sat next to a fellow runner on the bus ride to the starting line. We got to chatting and she shared with me one of those previously-mentioned toenail horror stories. My chin dropped to the floor as she told me how she ran this marathon last year and lost-- count' 'em-- five toenails.

FIVE toenails! After running a marathon, she found herself short of five rather important parts of her body!

This was not encouraging to me.

I'd brought along my economy-sized tube of Sports Slick and even though I'd already spread a layer the thickness of a filet mignon on my toes, I added a couple more layers just for good measure. Good news was that I didn't lose any toenails that day. Better news is that now, seven months post-marathon, the three toenails I had that turned black are pretty much back to normal.

Thank goodness for red nail polish, preserving my beautiful toes status for another day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All right, enough highlighting your beautiful body parts. You're going to be stalked by Foot Fetish Man, and you thought being flexed at by Boob Guy was bad. :P

Chad said...

I've never lost a toenail - despite several long hikes up and down the Grand Canyon where many people lose them consistently - and I'd just as soon keep it that way!!!

I had one that got smashed last year and started to turn a little black, but it's since recovered. I didn't paint it ;-) (especially not red!)

BigJohn said...

Hello,

I'm new to the blog, but I posted a fitness blog and caught wind of yours. You go by "Tall Girl Running" I could go by "Tall Man Running." Okay, I'm not that tall, 6'5 220, but I am not a good distance runner either. I have been doing more cross training (My Blog) but have also started to run more. I have been diagnosed with a herniated disc so I have eliminated my basketball days (which I loed so much), but the rest of the body is okay (knees, shoulders, etc). Have you had any injuries to deal with? Being a tall runner no problam with the back or knees? I liked the Footsy blog by the way, and yes I must say you have Very nice feet/toes! (Sorry, I have a little foot fetish: I promise I'm not a weirdo! LOL) While I am not anywhere near your level of running (I run about 3 miles twice a week, and one or two days of sprint work)I have been running more and more without basketball. I hope your running continues to go well, and drop me a line if you get a chance. Good Luck in your training John