Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Ice, Ice Baby

My shins have been making some noise for the past few weeks.

My body is usually suffering some kind of annoyingly minor ache from my running, but shin pain has (thankfully) been an uncommon ailment for me. I couldn't figure out what might be causing it at first, as I've been running relatively low mileage while breaking in a new pair of shoes. But it ocurred to me recently I probably have the bad weather to blame. Bad weather in Idaho translates to perpetually icy roads and though I always attempt to run on stretches of road that are dry, I'm inevitably navigating over patches of ice. I don't have the technical knowledge to back up my suspicion, but I'm pretty sure my sore shins are a result of my lower legs working in an unnatural manner to stabilize themselves over the ice.

This lends to both good and bad news:

Good: My shins shouldn't be bothering me any more come the end of winter. Smile.

Bad: The end of winter in Idaho doesn't come for another three months. Grumble.

Of course, the cruel irony of it all is that after coming home from a run on icy roads with screaming shins, I immediately treat my legs with-- you guessed it-- ice.

5 comments:

Allen said...

While you're waiting for the ice to melt, do stretches to strengthen your anterior muscles and calf muscles.

Do all three variations of wall pushes. Do foot press and furniture lift.

runningDeb said...

I agree with Allen. I have been suffering with sore shins myself and stretching/icing is the only thing that seems to help.

Angie said...

Hi Deb... thanks for coming by and pitching in! I've never done specific stretches for my shins, so I'll have to do some research, but it's worth the effort. I'm not going to be able to increase my mileage at this rate if I don't do something.

Thanks again--

Allen said...

The wall pushers and foot press are illustrated in my stretching page

http://www.leigh.org/running/stretchingpic.html

To do the furniture lift, sit on a chair facing a sofa or stuffed chair. Put your toes under the sofa and try to lift it.

By the way, I do all of the stretches shown in my stretching page before each run, and I do the wall pushers, quads, and hams stretches after the run. Takes a few minutes of time but has kept me pain free for 30 years. I'm going to start doing the furniture lift, too.

robison52 said...

Howdy! Another idea is wearing tights, which might help stabilize your legs due to the weather.