Saturday, September 29, 2007

Shiver Me Timbers

We had our first snowfall of the season today. It's a little early yet (even for Idaho), but this area's been suffering through a drought all year so I don't dare complain.


After dutifully sleeping in a little on a Saturday morning, I headed out in the white stuff to hit the gym. I'm still full-well into recovery mode, but making efforts to get my needed hits of exercise-induced adrenaline whenever I can. After working up a good sweat on the weight machines, I'd planned to top it off with an easy couple miles on the treadmill. But as I turned that direction, I looked outside the big windows of the gym and saw it was still snowing. At the spur of the moment, I decided to run outside instead.

Why do stupid things happen to good people??

The first mile out wasn't bad at all. The air was cold and crisp and the flakes were falling gently on my face. But the second I turned around to head back I realized I was only enjoying myself because I'd had the wind at my back. Those gently falling flakes turned into poisonous darts, stinging everywhere I had exposed skin (which was quite a bit since I hadn't planned on doing this in the first place). The sweat I'd worked up at the gym was now subject to the biting wind, encasing my body inside what felt like a meat freezer. And to add insult to injury, I couldn't avoid sloshing in big puddles all over the road, soaking my shoes and socks with cold water.

So much for my little Winter Wonderland.

If nothing else, those two miles reminded me I'm alive... which is never a bad thing. I actually much prefer training in winter than I do summer, but this will definitely take some getting used to again. Here's my cue to break out the winter gear. There's nothing like hauling around an extra five pounds of clothing layers, gloves and hats.

I'd planned to get some groceries right after my workout and had to literally towel myself off once I got back to the car. I'm sure it did little to help the attractive drowned rat look I had going on, though. I shivered my way through the fresh produce, grabbed a loaf of bread and gallon of milk, attempted to make polite conversation with the cashier and finally headed home with the heat on at full blast.

I don't think a hot shower has ever felt so good.

10 comments:

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Aww, Angie, that's fantastic!!
But, You got snow ALREADY?!!!

Even CANADA doesn't have snow, eh?

Anonymous said...

Wow! I was in the high mountains of Idaho City today, and no snow there. I could see the trees on the very tops of the mountains covered by frost, but holy cow, snow already? Yikes! Wasn't it triple digits just days ago?

Allen said...

Your snow was a cold, windy rain here in the Salt Lake valley. I ran my planned 5 miles and thoroughly enjoyed it, although I need to spray my nylon wind breaker with Silicone again to keep it water resistant.

See Zanne Run said...

OMG! running in snow is my most favorite thing on earth!!!! even when the snow flakes get all needly feeling & mean ... i love nothing more than running the cold ... the colder, the better. add some snow on top of cold & i'm in heaven. i am so so so envious that you got a snow run in already!!!!!! now you can reward your marathon efforts with some new winter gear! oh. you have no idea how jealous i am right now ...

Tall Girl Running said...

Zanne,

You really had me all confused, scratching my head there for a minute. I mean... I like running in the cold and snow too, but not THAT much. But then I realized: you run in Kentucky. Come run with me this winter in Idaho sometime and we'll see how much you still love it. :-P

Rosie said...

That's crazy it's still in the 80's here (NC) Hahaaa. I used to live in Ohio, right on the lake so I know about snow and stuff. Which is why I no longer live there. :) I do not share the love of running in cold weather. Cool weather, maybe. Snow? NOOO thanks. :D

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

It was 98 yesterday...and I'm glad. I'm have a tough time with the cold ever since moving to Phoenix. Here we start wearing heavy coats when the temps hit 50s...burrrr! ;-)

Still, it sounds like a lot of fun if you have the right gear...time for a shopping run!

P.O.M. said...

"Wind at the back" moments are great, but even better when it's teh SECOND half of the run! And snow?? What is this "snow" you speak of? I think it's great you attempted it!

Laurel said...

I actually laughed out loud when I read the part where you realized the wind was to your back. I hate that realization and it is ALWAYS too late.

I can't believe you have snow! I am so jealous! You would not believe how hot and humid it was down here today.

Christy said...

I can't believe you have snow! It is still so hot here...I thought we were at least on our way to cool fall weather but nooo...had to get humid and warm again!

Good luck on the cold weather...send some this way!! :)