Thursday, September 20, 2007

Livin' la Vida Lazy

In a valiant attempt to avoid repeating the monumental mistake I made last year when I injured my knee two weeks after my marathon because I didn't take recovery seriously, I've been perfecting my impression of a slug this week (see self-portrait to the left).

We're talking some serious recovery eating, recovery sleeping and general recovery uselessness.

I had a massage appointment for today that was cancelled at the last minute because the therapist got sick, but I'll get that in soon enough. I haven't even done yoga this week. How lazy do I have to be to not even do yoga?

Actually, I can't tell a lie. I have gone walking... a lot. I think I've walked over 15 miles this week. I guess that's not exactly being lazy, except whenever I walk instead of run I feel like I'm cheating.

I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out on this recovery thing. Come Saturday morning, when I'm usually out pounding the pavement for at least a good 10 miles, I'm going to have to find something else to distract me. Football games don't start that early, so that won't help. Now that fall's almost here, the yard doesn't really need any work. It's not a school day, so the kids will be sleeping in.

Ah well. Recovery schmovery. There's at least three running miles out there with my name all over them.

9 comments:

P.O.M. said...

A Bloody Mary or Mimosa might help that urge subside :)

Chesno Slova said...

So, if you don't think yard work needs to be done in autumn Angie, come back down to Cache Valley and I'll put you to work. This is my busiest time! Glad you're getting some slackin' in.

Jim said...

Be careful, O' Tall One. Confucius say: "He who will not economize will have to agonize." He also said something about how much a wood a woodchuck can chuck...but I don't see how that applies to this.

Laurel said...

I agree with p.o.m. A stiff drink should help. Celebrate that marathon girl!

Peter said...

Snails might not be fast, but check this out!

Tall Girl Running said...

Peter,

That's either really cool or really creepy. I can't decide.

See Zanne Run said...

ah. live & learn. we have to make the mistakes to learn how to go forward. i did the same after my half marathon last spring & paid the price ... am hoping like you, that i will have learned my lesson & take my post marathon recovery - it will start in about 27 days - seriously. good for you! laze around all you want. a margarita might be nice. have one for me!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and congratulations on your marathon finish. I loved the posting about it.

Nothing wrong with walking to recover. Best to make sure you are fully recovered before starting training again.

Allen said...

Walking is a great start to recovery, but you'll need to merge in some slow, short-distance jogs, the type that make you glad you're alive and are outside enjoying the world. Just use Bruce's Baby steps during the next month as you increase your distance back to your pre-marathon distance.