Sunday, July 15, 2007

All Hail 100!

According to the count on the dashboard of my blog, this entry is my 100th post. I suppose that's a landmark of sorts and all week long I've been trying to think of something clever I could write about to mark the occasion. Alas, cleverness seems to be escaping me (perhaps as a direct result of the near-100 degree temperatures I've been baking in the last couple of weeks). And so, I will settle with attempting to delight you all with a few trivia facts about the number 100. You never know when gems like these will come in handy.

This does give me a chance, however, to thank you all for reading and offering your encouragement, advice and personal anectodes. Over the course of 100 posts, I've admittedly subjected you to some often unusual and disturbing glimpses into the space between my ears. I sincerely appreciate the community of support you offer, whether you are a fellow runner or not. A hundred thank-you's!

  • 100 is the atomic number of fermium, an actinide
  • 100 degrees Celsius is the boiling temperature of pure water at sea level
  • 100 is the number of tiles in a standard Scrabble set
  • In Greece, India and Israel, 100 is the police telephone number
  • 100 is the record number of points scored in one NBA game, set by Wilt Chamberlain on March 2, 1962
  • Five for Fighting sang "100 Years" (2005)
  • Time Magazine's 2007 list of the 100 People Who Shape Our World
  • NPR's list of the 100 most important American musical works of the 20th century
  • 100 is the smallest square which is also the sum of 4 consecutive cubes
  • The American Film Institute's list of the 100 Greatest Movies of All Time
  • 100 is the number of times my 7-year old asked "Are we there yet?" during our last road trip

4 comments:

See Zanne Run said...

your 7 year old & mine would get along great!
happy 100 posts-aversary

Chad said...

100 Posts - very cool!

Now I need to check to see how many I've done . . .

I think your 100 posts as a collection are better than some of the 100 most important musical works :-) Rapper's Delight? Hmmm - although I like the nonsensical ditty in the middle, not sure it would have made a top 100 list for me.

robison52 said...

Congrats on your 100th post...seems like yesterday when I read your very first post! Hopefully you'll be celebrating your 100th RACE someday too!!

Allen said...

>>>100 is the smallest square which is also the sum of 4 consecutive cubes

Hey, that is interesting!