Monday, May 14, 2007

Goose Gallop

I ran my first official 10K over the weekend-- a small, local event that consisted of precisely 109 runners participating in the 5K and 10K races combined. And ironically, because the course surrounded the perimeter of a popular river park, 10K is not only the distance I ran but also the number of geese I had to shoo away while doing it. Well, okay... maybe not that many geese. But definitely that many goose poops.


All in all, it was a fairly successful outing. I was no semblance of a speed demon whatsover as I'd exhausted most of my speed demon'ing three weeks earlier in Salt Lake City. But I felt strong the whole time and managed to maintain a comfortable pace just a little faster than what I normally run in training. I'm certain I have many more 10K's in my future and my time is bound to improve. But for now, it was just fun to get out again so soon amongst the ranks of my fellow runners and feel of the atmosphere and soak in the surroundings of a beautiful spring morning run.

Goose poop and all.

6 comments:

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Angie,
It sounds like you ran a good run all in all! Congratulations!~ Especially so soon after the half marathon.

How long did it take you to recover?

Allen said...

But for now, it was just fun to get out again so soon amongst the ranks of my fellow runners

Oh, you do lots of running with the geese :)

Congratulations on the race, and welcome to the world of 10K racing.

Jim said...

Congrats on your inaugural 10K. As for me, I always run faster with a little goose. :0)

robison52 said...

Congrats on finishing your first 10k race!!! Smart to enjoy the distance since you're still not fully back from the half marathon. I have a 10k coming up soon too, and have a very low personal best for that distance as I haven't run a 10k since 2004...I hope to run it with a comfortable pace as well, but still set an easy personal best. I'm looking forward to that "atmosphere" as well.

The Salty One said...

Sounds like a nice little race. Did you beat the geese? Oh, I don't mean in a violent way--I mean in the competitive way!

I have robinson52 beat. I haven't run a 10k since 2000. There just aren't many good ones here in Cleveland. There is one next month that starts 1.5 miles from my house, so I might do that for fun. If there are geese though, I'm quitting!

PS how did the kids deal with the birds going bye bye?

Joe said...

Wow! That was your first official 10K? What took you so long? Most people do the 10K before they do the marathon! Anyway, it sounds like you had fun and you were reasonably satisfied with the experience. BTW, what's your next race?