Friday, April 06, 2007

Insult

I went out last night for a quick one-mile run to warm up for volleyball when up ahead of me on the side of the road I saw one of those radar signs the police department puts up to monitor the speed of oncoming traffic. It was flashing its big red light as the cars buzzed by: 47 mph... 53... 61... 32 (somebody's grandpa, no doubt).


As I was only running a single mile, I purposely picked up my normal pace to give myself a good jolt of adrenaline. The sign was quickly approaching and the thought ocurred to me if I broke into a dead sprint 20 yards or so before the sign, maybe it would detect the motion and register my speed. I bet I can get it to read 8, or 9... or maybe even 10 miles per hour!!

So, I tried it. I was all-out sprinting, my legs pumping as fast as you'll ever see them go without being chased by a large carnivorous animal. And just as I pass the sign, a big red number pops up:

-0-

Hmph. I may be no Florence Griffith-Joyner, but that was just rude.

7 comments:

Allen said...

Well, you'd better go faster than that on the 21st :) Maybe you need a metal running vest to reflect the radar. Or, just carry a big cooking pot with you.

Jim said...

Heck, I once saw a dead possom register 10 MPH on one of those things. Must be somethng wrong with it.

Chad said...

I've never even got them to register for me - at least it noticed you!

Backofpack said...

Angie, came over from Chad's blog. We have a couple of those on one of my regular routes - if I can get it to register at all, it gives me 5. I've never tried an all-out sprint though!

If I listened to music, I'd listen to country. I got hooked when I lived in Rifle Co fo a year back in 1978-79.

robison52 said...

Like Chad, I've never had the thing register for me either...I remember that movie where this old baseball pitcher (played by Dennis Quaid) threw a fast ball that was registered wrong...maybe the "1" was burned out and you were actually running 10 mph.

Joe said...

Hilarious, Flo-Jo! That reminds me of that scene from The Rookie where Dennis Quaid throws baseballs past a road-side radar gun.

Daphna said...

I've always wanted to try that... but every time I want to run by one of those things there are so many cars it's useless.