Thursday, February 22, 2007

Flattery

I got a phone call yesterday afternoon from a woman associated with the annual marathon event in my hometown. Apparently, she was given my name from somebody as a good candidate for a coaching position for the new marathon group training program starting on Saturday and asked if I'd be interested.

I promptly picked my jaw from off the floor and asked what the coaching position entailed. Basically, she explained, it's just attending every Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m., leading the group on the long runs and occasionally teaching a short clinic.

Oh, is that all?

Somehow, I stifled the urge to immediately throw myself to the ground in fits of uproarious laughter. Oh boy, do you have the wrong gal, I thought. Aside from my personal opinion that 8:00 a.m. on Saturday mornings is for SLEEPING, I'm sure folks would be mightily impressed having a "coach" who lumbers along at a 9:30/mile (on a good day), takes walking breaks every ten minutes, endures some sort of ache or pain during every single step and pretty much sucks at the sport of running.

I didn't tell her this, of course. Instead, I thanked her for giving me the opportunity but politely declined, explaining my training for another race in April would prevent me from committing to even participating in the group runs until after the race was over. It's a perfectly valid excuse, but I still felt pretty lame giving it to her, knowing if I really wanted to be a coach, I could work it out somehow.

Honestly, I was tremendously flattered. But the thing is... I just don't have the confidence to even pretend to think I am qualified to do something like this. Just the other day, I blogged about my reservations in joining this very same group because of my aversion to "following the leader". The only thing that sounds less appealing than following the leader is actually being the leader.

Besides, I don't own a single cute matching spandex outfit.

1 comment:

robison52 said...

I think you would be a GREAT coach as you're level headed and ego-free. Some coaches don't even attempt to run with the group, but would rather drive up and down on a bike or car barking orders. Clinics are fun, you could use your "war stories" to full advantage.