Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Tuneless

My mp3 player is on the fritz.


Commence the crying, whining, pouting, boo-hooing, whimpering, blubbering, sniveling and bellyaching.

In its place tonight, I used the radio-- tuned to some Super Size Spectacular 80's Hour-- and was held hostage by the likes of El DeBarge, MC Hammer and Wham! (Exclamation point added for accuracy, not because I'm actually excited.)

Tell me... how am I supposed to get in a good, hard workout while being told to listen to the rhythm of the night, threatened that I can't touch this and asked to wake him up before I go, go?
Tomorrow morning, I'll have to run outside without any music at all. I don't mind so much running to the sounds of nature-- the wind rustling through the trees, the crunch of the ice beneath my feet, the silent strains of the falling snow. It's the sound of the swishing of my nylon pants that's going to drive me mad.
Oh, Woe is Me.

6 comments:

robison52 said...

I NEVER listen to music when I'm on the roads as I wish to duplicate race conditions, besides, it can be dangerous as well. I do listen to music on the dreadmill or I would go completely bonkers with boredom. Do you know if Salt Lake City Half-marathon allows music players?

Lickety Split said...

I wish I could listen to the iPod when running; perhaps I'd do more of it!

I do listen to it in the gym though and I would go so far as to say that I can't get a good workout without one. It's distracting and focusing at the same time. It gets me into a rhythm but at the same time gets my mind off of soreness or pain.

Allen said...

Gee, Angie, running without music is a real bummer. That means you'll have to use your running time to think and meditate :)

Allen said...

Bruce, I went to the SL marathon site and searched on the word music but nothing was found. The SL marathon is put on by the same folks who do the New Las Vegas marathon, so the policy about wearing a player is probably the same.

Angie said...

Silly Allen. I can't think and run at the same time!

Allen said...

I think and run at the same time. Maybe that is why I keep on missing turns and get lost...