Wednesday, January 31, 2007

All Gyms are Not Created Equal

I had the opportunity to catch up with a cousin of mine while out of town over the weekend and learned he's training to run his first marathon in May. We talked a bit amongst ourselves-- as we runners will do (queue uppity smug look)-- and he told me a little about his training. Apparently, he's doing it with a group of other runners and because of the cold and inversion in the valley, they've been doing all their runs on the treadmill at the local gym. Last Saturday, they ran 10 miles on the mill... ten miles running in place! That amazes me. I have quite a high tolerance for treadmill running, but the longest I've ever been able to endure at one time was seven miles. After over an hour on the mill, I wanted to bury the thing and probably would have if I'd had any energy left to actually dig the hole.


Of course, I don't have access to the state-of-the-art type of facility in which to train as apparently does my cousin. He described the cardio floor of his gym, complete with a full-sized theater screen that plays movies to watch while you work out. So, instead of resting my sore eyes on the likes of George Clooney or Matthew McConaughey while I pump out three or four miles, I'm privy to the impressive muscular displays of Boob Guy.

Hmph.

Still, admittedly envious as I am, I'm tremendously excited for my cousin and wish him the very best in his endeavor. If you're reading this, C., think of me next time you're at mile 6.3 and Dennis Quaid flashes that make-you-weak-in-the-knees grin.




No comments: