Sunday, December 31, 2006

Ambitionally Challenged

Ambition has never been a glowing characteristic of mine. Not that I lack it completely... it's just not what drives me. So, it stands to reason I’m not a big fan of making New Year’s resolutions. I can understand how the concept of setting goals at the start of a new year is beneficial for some folks, but I guess I’m the type of person who finds it more reasonable to set goals when I feel inspired to do so and not because the calendar dictates it’s appropriate.


All that said, however, I found myself making a list of New Year’s resolutions recently while biding time on a road trip and was surprised at the number of things I– as admittedly unambitious as I am– would truly like to accomplish this year.

So, without further ado, I present my Unofficial New Year’s Resolution List– Running Goals and Otherwise. I deem it "unofficial" so that I don’t actually have to hold myself accountable to accomplishing any of them. (That would, of course, require ambition.)


In the Year 2007, I resolve to:

– Run at least four organized races.

– Break the 2:00 mark in a half-marathon.

– Remain injury free (barring the inevitable stubbed toe or paper cut).
– Learn a new skill. (Knitting? Yodeling? Springboard Diving?)

– Be a more playful parent. (Show my kids who’s boss at Uno.)

– Volunteer at least once for a race I’m not running.

– Drink more water. And... sigh... eat more vegetables.

– Play my piano more often.

– Expand my vocabulary (so I can sound more smarter).

– Wear out at least ½ dozen pair of running socks.

– Remember and acknowledge birthdays more often.

– Stretch more. (Stretch, period.)

– Write more thank-you notes (especially for the seemingly small things).

– Stop eating ice cream straight from the box. (Every resolution list needs at least one goal that’s completely unrealistic.)

And finally... if nothing else...

– Approach each day with the attitude of learning, laughing, serving, growing, loving, experiencing and just plain living a little better than I did the day before.


Happy New Year, Everyone. Here’s to a great one!

1 comment:

robison52 said...

Howdy Angie! I like your (un)resolutions, I'm going to steal a couple like not eating ice cream right out of the box! Your "countdown" to 2007 Salt Lake City Half-Marathon is VERY cool! Happy trails, Bruce